As you know there is an unprecedented crisis with regards to Covid 19 worldwide.This virus can affect everyone, children too.
Because of Covid 19, ALL dental practices in the UK have closed.We can now only see serious dental emergencies. The same is happening in other countries too.
We do not know how long this situation will last; it may be months.
So now is the time when you must look after your children’s teeth and also reduce any potential spread of this virus.
- Take the Government’s advice and stay at home.
- Keep brushing and flossing twice a day, for at least two minutes,to maintain good oral health.Brush-Baby is a leader in dental childcare products and has fantastic guidance for child tooth care.
- Cut right back on any sweets and avoid a high sugar diet, e.g. cakes, biscuits, raisins.
As Covid 19 lives in the mouth, nose and throat:
If you are brushing your child’s teeth or using baby wipes wash your hands before and after.
- Do not reuse baby wipes, dispose of them in your bin.
- Change toothbrushes regularly (at least every 2 months) and especially if you or your child have had a cold or ‘flu-like symptoms
- You must never share toothbrushes, and keep toothbrushes separate from other peoples, especially those that have symptoms or not in isolation.
- Children must not share toothpastes with adults or other children, especially those that have any symptoms or not in isolation.
- You must wash your hands and your child’s hands thoroughly with soap and water after toothbrushing. Obey the 20 second rule!Wash hands regularly throughout the day. Avoid touching face, nose and mouth.
- Clean the sink and surrounding area after toothbrushing. Use a household cleaner. Wash your hands.
If your dental appointment has been cancelled, call your practice to reschedule, although please bear in mind that it may not be for some time.
We dentists are here for you:
If you or your child have a dental emergency ‘phone your dentist. Although our practices are closed we are all available to give you help and advice.
Isabelle Tillen FDS RCS
Specialist Oral Surgeon
Dovecote Dental Care, Hedge End, Hampshire